Friday, April 9, 2010

Snowboarding Trip to Big Bear, CA

Hey all.

Well, I went on a 3 day trip to good ol' Big Bear, CA for some snowboarding last week. I got back Friday and ended up jumping right in with some friends and hitting the nightlife over the weekend. I'm still a bit sore believe it or not. The top of my left thigh felt destroyed over the weekend. It was a great trip. I went with my brother from another mother, Travis. He's going to school up north so I don't get to see him much and we've missed doing this trip for the past couple of years so this was a nice change. Yeah, it was just good times with a good friend. We got lucky with the scheduling of the trip as it was expected to rain last Wednesday, the day we planned to drive up. So as we drove up that day, it started to snow pretty good on the mountain. We got there a bit late as we took our time leaving so we took it easy and grabbed a nap before dinner. We went to a place I knew for some BBQ and drinks, ate and drank our fill and played some pool at a bar on the same street. For the week of spring break for a lot of students, it was sort of slow and dead up there. It may have been because the main highway to Big Bear was closed for construction leaving only two other ways up, which makes the trip about a half hour longer.
Thursday was a full day of snowboarding. We know Big Bear pretty well, and a couple of decent/good restaurants we knew there weren't around anymore but we found this gem of a restaurant in the village. It was called the Teddy Bear Restaurant. They had good food at a good price and it was just an overall cool little mountain restaurant. We pretty much ate all of our meals there for the next two days. Awesome breakfast food, awesome home-style cooking, awesome everything.
Thursday night was pretty much our quest to find a cool place to hang out at night. There are only a few bars in the city, but we found this one dive bar in a hidden part of the village. It was a real back-corner of the street kind of place. Apparently though, it's very well known to the locals and the only place open until 2AM. Compared to the other bar we played pool at the night before, we walked in and a pretty busy and rowdy karaoke night was ensuing. Awesome. Basically, we covered all of our bases for the next trip! We now know where to eat again, and where to hang out. On Friday, we chose to snowboard for half the day before leaving to go back home. It was a good decision. We were a little tired and were in the recovery stage from snowboarding the day before, but the few hours of riding in perfect blue-bird weather conditions made it all worthwhile. After the snow on Wednesday, the next two days had perfect spring weather.

I don't know what it is. Snowboarding to me just has so many therapeutic qualities. Even the lift ride up is relaxing. The cool, fresh, mountain air slowly breezing by... a nice sunny day with clear, blue skies... (at least in Southern California ski resorts). Yeah. It's just awesome. I think the season is going to last another 4-5 weeks here with some more rain in the forecast for next week, so I'm sure I'll get some more riding in before the season is over.

I cut a short video of the trip and took some pictures (I'm in the Green and wearing the darker of the sweaters):

Big Bear Snowboarding - March 2010 from Morrownow on Vimeo.






Travis is not dressed like a local.

Me.

Travster

Me

I think my car should look like this all the time.

Me.

Me.



2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I hope you make it out a few more times! I watched the video a few days ago on FB, looks pretty legit haha. I really need to practice my boarding skills... skiing is where I like to hang out haha

Anne. said...

Around 0:06 seconds into the video. Driving up the mountain with greenery on each side of the road when it's lightly snowing? FREAKIN' MAGICAL. Awesome song choice too!