Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The New Year...

The New Year. Wow, we're in the double digits now. It doesn't seem that long ago where I thought it was cool that I was graduating from middle school in the year 2000. Everyone sees this as a fresh start and that's great, but I'm also taking a new notice of things I haven't accomplished in the past year. They're basically all getting copied and pasted onto the list of things to do for 2010. Typing out "2010" is weird. Most of the time, my New Year's Resolutions is just a list of things to accomplish in life, and not just for the year ahead. But the way I'm thinking of it is to actually try to get a start on, and maybe even accomplish them all this year. I mean it's do-able. Depending on your list. My Oscar for best screenplay might have to wait a bit. That may be the only thing on the list where I can say, "Oh, I can do that 10 years from now". And that's getting lucky. Way lucky if I do...
(Um. I literally just forgot how old I was right now. I'm 23, but I thought for a good few seconds that I was 24. How weird is that?)

Strangely motivating isn't it? And funny. I think it'd be funnier if they put a " ! " at the end of where it says, "...you're going to die". Without an exclamation point, it seems sort of dark and emo. The power of grammatical symbols!


Writing...
I talk quite a bit about writing, and I know I haven't posted many samples. I wouldn't really even call them samples either. They're just "writings". But I'm working on a few things right now that I feel confident enough in to show soon. In the meantime, I feel like I have to read for myself, and tell of WHY I like to write. WHY I would like to write for film.

Film is amazing to me. From a societal aspect, media is practically a staple. Film has been that staple for most of the era of mass media. During times of war, and other difficult times, people would flock to the theaters to be informed, and entertained, for a good couple of hours. That's a huge chunk of someone's day if you think about it. To be engaged and dedicated to a character's predicament, their journey, and finally their resolution for two whole hours? Completely forgetting about your own life? Living vicariously through a fictional character's? Cool. I think that's really cool. Writing for all these people hoping to be entertained and intrigued, gives me the ability to tell a story I come up with, and how I want it to be told. That's a cool ability. I can make the audience feel, I can trigger emotions, and most intriguing of all, I can show them meanings and messages. Undoubtedly what we see in films influence us. Think "Schindler's List". And of course it's not to attempt to feel some kind of godly power, No. It's about being able to tell a story and have the audience engage and feel something visceral from what they're watching. It's the best part of story telling.

5 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohh pretty please post some of your samples. I would love to read them. It is so weird writing 2010 & /10, I actually wrote /010 on my check the other day. Yeahh it would be funnier if it had the !. Sometimes first dates just suck. I did read your post on it you were really on the fence. Well that's great that things were better. Maybe she was having an off day, & it was a set up date right so those are always a lil akward. I really enjoy Brent when you post because your posts are positive & it seems like you really are in progress. Happy New Year & Good luck this year!! =)

nando.gino said...

really cant imagine when u ask may u kiss her or not and then she answered, u should just go for it..

anyway, congratulation dude. Like what she said, just go for it. Or yeap,,maybe you should learn 'how to read face' from chinese. It 90% works..

Anne. said...

It is really weird writing 2010. Yesterday, I actually wrote /01 on a deposit slip at the bank. FAIL! Anyway, YAY! So glad the second date with J worked out! It's really cute how you asked her if you could kiss her, and the gesture shows respect. Two thumbs up!

(I think that because of your little exclamation mark blurb, I overused it here, hahaha.)

Jill said...

haha I graduated from Middle School in 2000 also.
Congrats about the 2nd date! :)

The Trav monster said...

You're welcome :-P