Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phase...


I'm on the right, and my very handsome, single friend is Travis(that good enough Travis?).

I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's just a phase. For the past 3 months, my friends and I haven't gone out to any bars consistently. And by that I mean, we've all been spending the weekends doing pretty mellow stuff, and for myself, I've been staying home a lot. Its done crazy, magical, wonders for my wallet and checking account though. We've probably gone out to a bar a total of 3 times the past 3 months. The significance of this is that since we all turned 21, my friends and I have gone out pretty much every weekend to bars or parties. That's a solid 2 year block of time. It just feels weird now staying home multiple weekends in a row. Also, back when my friend Josh was working at a trendy bar in Hollywood, and another one in the Silverlake area, we were going out about 4 nights a week consistently for about 8 months. Well, tonight we all thought back on it. Actually, it wasn't all of us. That would be our group of four. Four best friends. I've known them since I was in kindergarten. Crazy huh? Anyway, yeah, just Josh and I were sitting in the 4100 bar tonight, and we walked in at about midnight. We had all of one drink each over the course of 40 minutes, and decided to call it a night. I laugh thinking about it now. We sat there and got into the most profound conversation of how we came to this stage... About how both of our alcohol tolerances are basically at zero because after that one drink each, our heads were already heavy. With mostly blurry nostalgia, we looked back and mapped out our schedule that was -- from several months ago. This is what we came up with:

Monday - nothing.

Tuesday - "$0.25 Chicken Wing Night" at Big Wang's (Trendy Sports bar contrary to the name) in Hollywood. We ate there pretty consistently every Tuesday night and then stuck around for drinks after.

Wednesday - "Hump day" (go out to get over the mid-week hump that is Wednesday) Went out for drinks again.

Thursday - Josh bartending at Ye Rustic Inn bar in Silverlake. We used to drop in on him randomly.

Friday - Mandatory night out in Hollywood.

Saturday - Mandatory night out again.

Sunday - recovery.


That's a pretty consistent drinking schedule held for about a solid 8 months. Not a very good thing now that we look back on it. So what changed?




Well, amongst us four, jobs were lost and gained, ex-girlfriends were taken back, homes were moved, money was short, gym memberships and diets ensued, and most of all... we just got over it. I guess we're all kind of over the whole L.A. bar scene. We were new to it being 21 then 22, and now were 23 and pretty well versed in the whole experience and tiring lifestyle. Many-a-nights have we gone out trying to re-enact the bar scenes from the movie "Swingers" with Vince Vaughn and Jon Fabreau(One of my favorite movies of all time by the way). And many-a-nights have we ended up at the late night taco trucks. We've been doing the same ol' bar night thing for two years. It's not like we don't enjoy it, but I guess we've figured out how tiring and expensive it can be going out EVERY weekend, AND a couple of times during the week. I feel it too. I see myself doing the whole nightlife scene maybe once or twice every two weeks from now on. I think it'll make the times we do go out more enjoyable anyway.


(no worries. his hairstyle has updated as of late.)

I think... we're growing up...


(hahaha, quite the staged picture)


But in all seriousness -- the "growing up" part... is kinda scary.

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

I can already see me approaching this stage. Last year when everyone turned 21 we went out all the time. Now we are all broke and staying in watching movies haha. Eeek! growing up is no good!

Anne. said...

I love the imagery in "with mostly blurry nostalgia." :] Also, being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up! Two points if you recognize the lyric! Haha, seriously though, I'm terrified of what the future has in store for us 20 somethings. Part of me wishes we all had our respective careers already! Oh, dare to dream.

Lindsay said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to see you still read my stuff, no matter how boring it may be haha. Thanks for the comment, and love the pics :)

The Trav monster said...

Great post as usual Brent!
The only thing I would be changing the captions under the pictures to read, "Me with my handsome friend Travis" and stuff like that. And send some love this way with that fatter wallet of yours! Lol... Sad that your nights out have more or less seen their last days. But think of it this way: you'll now be in a proper situation to go to sleep at a decent hour, wake up on time, and be more productive during the day. Have you looked into joining a rock climbing gym as you were thinking about? Be good man!

Brent said...

@Jeanette - I know right? But I guess that's all part of progress. But of course, we're probably gonna still party like crazy for another few years in school and stuff, but I guess just not as much... Hmm. I'm fine with it.

@Anne - Pfft... THE ATARIS! Two points!. Love them. Yup. Totally terrified myself. Sometimes I'll have a moment stuck in traffic and my mind will wander, and the future with everything that's so uncertain... scares the shit out of me. But I have confidence that being ourselves, and as true as possible, we'll all turn out fine.

@Lindsay - Of course. Never boring reading other people's thoughts. Hope everything's well.

@Travis - Haha, ok handsome. Changes made. Take a look now.

saveyoursoul said...

Growing up IS scary.

Thanks for the blog comment my love, means a lot.

LENORENEVERMORE said...

Brent, are you sure 25 cents for he wing?! Growing pain dude!!
xo*

Jill said...

I totally feel you on this. I'm 23 also. I like going out sometimes on weekends, but mostly just Saturdays. On Friday nights I'm sooo tired from the long work week! And I get tired by midnight. LAME compared to college days....