Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Suit up!...

Howdy blog. It's been a busy week. But it's been a good-busy. Busy enough to keep from being bored, but not enough to be stressful or annoying.

The wood shapes fit...
I finally feel like things are set in place. It's like that toy from when we were toddlers, where you put the wooden shapes in the correct places. The past 5 years or so, the triangle piece was crammed in the circle hole. It's now in the correct triangle hole. -"That's what she said!"- . But seriously now, it feels nice. It all begins with my transfer and acceptance to the film writing program at Cal State Northridge. I'm all set to start there and learn my craft. And to be at this point, it feels great. It's like I'm finally on track. The only thing is, I'm also at the point where I want to get my life and goals re-focused -- I want to take a break from school. I want to do this snowboarding trip to Lake Tahoe this winter, for sure this time -- and start the film program next fall instead. That's the plan...

Billy's Wedding...
Tonight, I'll make the drive up the California Coast for my cousin Billy's Saturday wedding near San Luis Obispo in Avila Beach. I love the area up there. He and his brother, also named Brent, grew up in the Pismo Beach area. They grew up in the whole late 80's, early 90's surf, and punk era. Needless to say, they're my kind of guys to hang out with. I never had any siblings growing up, so my friends are extra important to me in replacement and my cousins are the closest thing to brothers I have. Since Brent is now married with a toddler, and Billy is now getting married, I won't have much to do tonight when I go up the coast. I'll be near Avila beach though. So I guess I'll look up some cool nightlife spot there on Yelp.com and have a drink. It's not so bad to go to a bar alone is it? We'll see. I'll be sure to take some pictures at the wedding.

Suit up!
So for the wedding, I bought myself a suit. And I mean a really nice, good quality suit. My first one in fact. I've never owned a suit before. There just never came a need really. This one was pretty expensive though. I'm pretty sensible with finances, but I see the value in buying good quality things, especially clothes. I got myself a Zegna suit. I picked it up yesterday from the tailor, and it looks pretty awesome on me. I should get it altered a little bit more though, there's still room for adjustment to the slim-fitting look I want. I'm pretty proud of the suit. Barney Stinson from the most awesome, legendary, CBS tv show "How I Met Your Mother" would be proud. Barney, I "Suited up!" Barney Stinson in Action


Batting Cages...
In the past two weeks, I've been hitting at the batting cages almost every night. It's been great to get my swing and skills back. One of my top regrets in my short life of 22 years was quitting baseball in high school. If I stuck with it, even in my high school's under-funded, shitty baseball program, I would've played for a college at the least. Oh well. It just feels good to see how even after all these years I've maintained the bulk of skill I used to have. Hitting and doing it with good form is pretty satisfying for the soul. I guess it's like golf in a way. You practice and practice until your swing is perfect, and it turns into a self-satisfying game. Just trying to best your best.


Well after this weekend, next week will be pretty busy. I'll be heading up to San Francisco for 5 days to see a couple friends. Should be a great time. I'll tell you as it happens.

1 comment:

Twenty-Something said...

all good things! glad you got your triangle in the right hole! (sweet!)