Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Go Time"...

So it's 5 AM Saturday morning. And yes, it's the usual. I have just come home from a late night out on the town on a Friday night. I'm feeling a little reflective tonight and self-actualizing because when you're out on the town in LA, hanging out at certain spots as I do, it's inevitabababable that you meet someone in the "biz", the "industry". The film industry that is. It just makes me want it more. The "success".
Success in Hollywood is - Consistency. A few weeks ago, I hung out with A.J.-from the Backstreet Boys with a few of his girl-friends. He gained weight and was kind of living in the past. He went out of his way reminding me and Josh who he was because we didn't acknowledge his "celebrity" when we first started a conversation with his friends. We treated him like every other person we meet... normal. -Which you tend to do when you meet celebrities in Los Angeles. Anyways, it made me realize how success in "the biz" doesn't last. It didn't for him, even when his band was like... the HUGEST Boy-Band for a few YEARS. That's pretty huge.
What does "success" as a screenwriter comprise of? Not much in reality. Hypothetically, let's say I sell an "indy" script. A script for an independent movie. Maybe something that won't be seen in theaters, but straight to DVD and maybe a showing at some obscure film festival... in let's say... Jacksonville, Florida(No offense to Jacksonville-ians). I would earn a paycheck of something in the tens of thousands. Something like $10-30,000. That's not much if you think about it. Especially in an expensive city such as Los Angeles. That would last me about 6 months if I live modestly, and lease a decent car.
Let's say I sell a major studio film that would be in theaters... I would make something in the hundreds of thousands. Something like around $90,000-300,000 - typically. Still not enough in LA-terms. A modest 2-3 bedroom, 1 story house in a NICE area here can cost up to $1-3 million. The major motion picture script would pay my bills for a nice apartment/condo/loft for a couple years. That'd be nice, but I would have to be one CONSISTENT writer pumping out scripts that are marketable... consistently to continue that lifestyle. Hard thing to do.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that Lake Tahoe - my "Dream Trip" is happening VERY soon. It's coming. I can feel it. Especially in my pocket... because I just spent $355 on a brand new snowboard. The "SkiDazzle" Ski/Snowboard Expo came into town at the Los Angeles Convention Center and tons of ski/snowboard stores sell off product at bargain prices. I got a brand new, 2009 model K2 - Podium - snowboard that retails for $400+tax for only $329. Pretty good deal considering the stores still sell it for $400+tax currently. About $80 off retail price. Good deal to me.

I got sidetracked there. Let me attempt to make the point again: It means that "Go Time" means more than snowboarding for 2-3 months straight. The whole point of the trip is to throw myself into independence, isolation, and most important of all... WRITING. I want to be taken seriously as a writer. And the only way to do that, is to have something "serious" to read. I have samples of course, but nothing that shows my true potential. I want to be Successful in Hollywood. 99% of screenplays out there are terrible, and it's a fact. I NEED to be in the 1% that write good scripts just to be able to have them READ. I truly believe and KNOW that I have talent, and can write well. But I need proof. And this purposeful isolation and loneliness I'm going to put myself in Lake Tahoe... I need to take that time to really write. Pump out some scripts, and some real well-written, REFLECTIVE, INSIGHTFUL writing...

It's GO TIME.

5 comments:

saveyoursoul said...

That's a sad thing about his insistence on being noted as a celeb...I like your reflectiveness here--kinda made me giggle with the sidetrack and extra notes :)

keep writing I like it.

Lindsay said...

thank you so much ;)

Raghav said...

cool a bonafide writer!
go find some inspirations dude

scorpiogirl said...

it's true...success is consistency. congratz for the new snowboard :). hope you reach your goal...would love to read your scripts someday, and see them in the big screen perhaps?
take care

The Trav monster said...

Yo Brent!

Totally right about your talent man. Just look for some inspiration and some help from outside sources (i.e. writing coaches, etc.) and you'll be fine! Remember: I've planned the next 15-20 years of my life as a member of your entourage! hehe...