Friday, November 21, 2008

Dreams and avalanches...

So funny thing. I was thinking about all of my dreams and aspirations today, and I thought about death. Not in a grim, depressing way, just in a true, thoughtful way. Here's a short list of what I want to do in life:
1. Snowboard everywhere (Andes, Argentina - Wanaka, New Zealand, The Alps, Alaska, etc.)
2. Skydive.
3. Write a complete Bucket List...

-Then I thought of, "What if I were to die doing one of these things?"

That has to be one of the most profound questions I have ever come up with simply because of the complexity. "Yeah! What if..." I truly, have no idea. Snowboarding is in the top 3 of what I'm most passionate about. People can say how much they enjoy it, but they probably won't have as much passion about it as I do. I would drop certain responsibilities to spend every winter somewhere doing it. Back to the complexity. Yes. It's a Catch-22 in all forms. If I don't do certain things, my aspirations won't be fulfilled, and experiences won't be experienced. But if I do, I risk losing it all, and not being able to finish the other things. A total "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". I remember using that quoted phrase in a high school essay once, and it got graded down for "offensive language". Random, I know. I just remembered thinking that was bullshit.

I got to thinking about death because of the high occurance of avalanches in backcountry-snowboarding. Actually, in backcountry-anything. Relevant because backcountry snowboarding is what I'm going to be doing the most in Lake Tahoe. The backcountry is great because it's untouched powder, and natural terrain, but of course, all of that can bury you alive. It's a scary thought. I think if that were to happen to me in Tahoe on one particularly powder day, I'd probably be really angry, or really happy if that run was the best I ever had. No but seriously, if I were buried alive under snow, I'd panic. They say not to panic, but how can you not? I don't think I'd be able to accept death either. I have too much ahead of me, and things to experience. Living in Lake Tahoe is only step one towards my snowboarding goals too, so I've really got to stay alive! No worries though, I'm a careful guy.

I should be posting a lot about Tahoe in about a month and a half when I get there. And I'll have a helmet cam too! Nice. They're great for filming last words... Haha. Just kidding.

4 comments:

The Trav monster said...

Hey Brent!
Tahoe is going to be epic man!
Although, I think you may be underestimating the amount of work back country snowboarding is. Lol... As far as I can tell, you'll be mixing snowboarding with hiking in the snow. And believe me, that's going to be a pain! Hehe... But I'm sure you'll have fun either way!

scorpiogirl said...

had just bumped into your blog...more so because the name's similar to my blog :). this was an interesting read. well, i agree...ultimately life's all about the experiences one has...had read somewhere that "it doesn't matter the seconds you breathe, but what matters is the seconds which take your breath away"...
tc

scorpiogirl said...

and hey...i really hope you stay 'alive' for one thing...would like to read your posts...stay safe, stay cool

Lilly Holiday said...

I'm just going to say it! Bucket lists' have to one of the best things ever. I'm thinking of making one myself. Live by the it takes a full year to make a day kinda thing.